LEGENDS MARATHON ROAD RACE CALLED OFF

 
Updated: August 30, 2016


Another major ultra-distance road race has been called off this year, with organisers confirming on Tuesday the Legends Marathon had been cancelled.

The 68km race, scheduled to be held in East London on October 1, joined the popular City2City 50km contest on the scrapheap of the 2016 campaign.

Central Gauteng Athletics had announced last month the City2City event would not take place this season, for the second time in three years.

Both races failed to secure sufficient financial backing.

The Legends Marathon, which was launched in 2013 and also included a popular half-marathon, had received accreditation from the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS). It offered R1 million in prize money last year.

The race had hosted athletes from 13 countries, organisers said in a statement, contributing towards tourism growth in the Eastern Cape.

The decision to call off the event was not taken lightly, they insisted, but after considering all alternatives and options, it would “not be practical” to host the race.

“All athletes who have entered this year will be refunded. This will take some time and we ask athletes to be patient as we work through these entries,” the organisers said.

“Legends Marathon apologises to Athletics South Africa, Border Athletics, the athletes and all stakeholders for any repercussions and inconvenience caused by this decision.”