HOGAN TO APPEAL DOPING SANCTION

 
Updated: July 15, 2016

Eager to clear his name, Victor Hogan’s legal team says the discus thrower will appeal his doping ban.
While Hogan’s A and B samples tested positive for methylhexaneamine, the SA Institute for Drug Free Sport (Saids) confirmed this week, the discus thrower insisted he had unintentionally digested the prohibited substance.
“We believe he took a supplement that was contaminated,” Hogan’s lawyer, Barend Kellerman, said on Friday.
“The substance was found in his body through no fault of his own, and we have requested a hearing.”
Kellerman believed his client could not be suspended until after the hearing, which could not take place until a sample of the supplement had been tested in the United States.
However, Saids chief executive Khalid Galant confirmed Hogan had been banned, though he could appeal for a reduced sanction.
“He received correspondence about the decision on Wednesday, so I don’t know why they would suggest he hasn’t been suspended,” Galant said.
Kellerman hoped Hogan would be included in the national Olympic team, after being omitted on Thursday, but he was unlikely to go to Rio based on selection criteria released last year by Sascoc and Athletics SA, which precluded all athletes under investigation or suspension for any offence.