DURBAN TRACK WILL BE READY: ASA

 
Updated: May 4, 2016

Athletics South Africa said on Wednesday it was satisfied with the latest assurance it had received from government, which claimed the African Athletics Championships would go ahead as scheduled in Durban next month.
The federation said it had met with representatives of the City of eThekwini and national government, and “all stakeholders” would meet with local officials again on Thursday to discuss preparations for the five-day event, to be held between June 22-26.
“The city assured ASA that they will meet all requirements of the event in line with all agreements and relevant commitments on their part,” said ASA president Aleck Skhosana.
The Kings Park track had been closed last year to allow for the synthetic surface to be relaid, and ASA officials admitted recently the host venue was in a poor state.
Skhosana, however, said the federation retained full faith in the ability of the local municipality to ensure the stadium was ready to showcase the biennial championships, set to be held in South Africa for the first time in 23 years.
“They insisted that all the necessary renovations, including work on the track, will be met and will be ready for use by the time the first athletes arrive.”